Definition of bifunctional in English:
1Having two functions.
- Whether the functionally independent mutants are the result of mutations in a single bifunctional gene or two separate genes has not been determined.
- To the best of our knowledge, there are no previous reports of this type of bifunctional photoactivator.
- Rather, the genetic and biochemical analyses suggest that Sun is a bifunctional protein.
2 Chemistry Having two highly reactive binding sites in each molecule: bifunctional enzymes retain stable levels of activity
More example sentences
- Epoxy compounds are highly reactive bifunctional alkylating agents, which may attack and bind covalently to DNA and cause mutagenic events.
- It has been suggested that bifunctional molecules like alcohol can penetrate into the hydrophobic core of lys modifying its structural and dynamic properties.
- The interconversion of the bifunctional enzyme is catalyzed by cAMP-dependent protein kinase, which in turn is regulated by circulating peptide hormones.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.