A person or organization exercising total control over people’s lives.
- Such is the level of mafia infiltration in society and so dangerous are terrorist attacks everywhere that we are tolerant of these Big Brothers watching their errant siblings.
- Until September 17 of last year, the Canadian government didn't have any Big Brothers on their payroll and we all lived together in blessed harmony within the wonderful realm of free speech.
- There is much speculation about what it is that the Big Brothers from Brussels will say, good and bad, about Bulgaria.
- Example sentences
- It was Big Brotherism in the extreme, an exercise of the raw and awesome power of the federal government.
- Many of my libertarian friends are outraged by these cameras - creeping Big Brotherism, they say.
- It is not privatization, but Big Brotherism cloaked in privatization.
1950s: from the name of the head of state in George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four (1949).
Definition of Big Brother in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.