Definition of bike in English:
- His best freebie has been a mountain bike and a bike rack for his car.
- It's no secret that eBay has become one of the hottest spots on the Internet to buy and sell used bikes and bike gear.
- There is also a fun ride where the citizens of Hamburg can ride their bikes around a set course in the city streets.
verb[no object] informal Back to top
- Falconry displays, American cheerleaders, Quad biking and train rides will also feature.
- Avoid driving whenever possible by walking, biking, using public transit, or car-pooling.
- These are real and possible threats while biking along a suburban city paved bike and hike trail.
late 19th century: abbreviation.
bicycle from (mid 19th century):
The velocipede (literally ‘rapid foot’) was the early form of bicycle, which is formed from bi- ‘two’ and Greek kuklos ‘wheel’. The abbreviation bike was not long to follow, in the late 19th century. A tricycle as a name for a three-wheeled coach drawn by two horses, dates from the 1820s, with the abbreviation trike appearing in the 1880s. Unicycle, from uni- ‘one’, was first recorded in the US in the 1860s.
Definition of bike in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.