Definition of binary system in English:
1A system in which information can be expressed by combinations of the digits 0 and 1.
- The binary system which governs information technology is one of the most ancient staples of ornamental practice, as is the mode of visual generation by pixels in mosaic and weaving.
- In fact, virtually any information can be stored in a binary system as a code. Complex graphics, speech, and even live broadcasts can be generated and stored by computers.
- More importantly for this example, though, it is a binary system, just as a computer system is.
2A system consisting of two parts: the binary system of state and public schools
More example sentences
- More and more influenced by the Movement, Clare comes to see the U.S. binary system of racial classification as a condition of possibility.
- Transphobia is the irrational fear and hatred of people who transgress conventional gender and sex rules in the socially constructed binary system of gender.
- The tendency to acknowledge such familial relationships produced a tertiary rather than binary system of racial classification in Louisiana and other French possessions.
2.1 Astronomy A star system containing two stars orbiting around each other.
- Neutron stars such as IGR J16283-4838 are often part of binary systems, orbiting a normal star.
- Some white dwarfs are in binary systems, that means they are in orbit around another star.
- The explosions of low-mass stars can be triggered by the accretion of mass from a companion star in a binary system to create classical, or Type Ia, supernovae.
Definition of binary system in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Pakistan