1Growing in pairs.
- When the solitary female spikelets of teosinte became binate in maize, simultaneously the paired spikes of teosinte became solitary in maize.
- The ternate or occasionally binate leaves are from three to four inches long, rigid and sharp.
- The leaves are in pairs, binate, placed base to base, oval, broader than long, ending in an obtuse point, smooth, glaucous beneath, and borne on petioles as long as the scape, which arise from the rhizome.
1.1Composed of two equal parts.
- Its short binate leaves, the persistent long prickles of its cone, and its tough branches, combine to distinguish this Tine from its associates.
- The binate leaves have a flat or slightly concave under-surface.
- Though the Kawau plants all showed solitary terminal female flowers, binate flowers are sometimes met with.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of binate in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.