- 1Growing in pairs.More example sentences
- When the solitary female spikelets of teosinte became binate in maize, simultaneously the paired spikes of teosinte became solitary in maize.
- The ternate or occasionally binate leaves are from three to four inches long, rigid and sharp.
- The leaves are in pairs, binate, placed base to base, oval, broader than long, ending in an obtuse point, smooth, glaucous beneath, and borne on petioles as long as the scape, which arise from the rhizome.
- 1.1Composed of two equal parts.More example sentences
- It has the trivial name from its long binate leaflets, resembling ass's ears.
- The spikelets are binate.
- Though the Kawau plants all showed solitary terminal female flowers, binate flowers are sometimes met with.
early 19th century: from modern Latin binatus, from Latin bini 'two together'.
More definitions of binateDefinition of binate in:
- The British & World English dictionary