Definition of biocatalyst in English:
A substance, such as an enzyme or hormone, that initiates or increases the rate of a chemical reaction.
- Functioning as biocatalysts, enzymes increase and control the rate of chemical reactions.
- He wanted to create a biocatalyst, using enzymes to try and find applications in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Critical to the success of this technology is a bio-transformation process step, using an enzyme biocatalyst.
- Example sentences
- Organic solvents have been widely used as solvents in biocatalytic reactions due to all known advantages that such media offer.
- In addition, our group is currently developing combined chemical / biocatalytic systems in novel solvents, allowing the use of reactive intermediates as substrates for enzymatic catalysis.
- Enzymes produced by extremophiles (bacteria and fungi living in harsh conditions) are also highly exploitable in the biocatalytic industry.