noun (plural biocenoses /-ˈnōsēz/)Ecology
- An association of different organisms forming a closely integrated community.More example sentences
- Whatley described a similar age structure as characteristic of low-energy biocoenosis, considered extremely rare in marine shelf environments.
- This may suggest that in the Blockhouse Shale C. friendsvillensis was part of a deeper water biocoenosis than in the other known occurrences.
- A variety of authors have used equation to study the effect of continental breakup and collision on biocenosis.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from bio- 'life' + Greek koinōsis 'sharing' (from koinos 'common').
More definitions of biocenosisDefinition of biocenosis in:
- The British & World English dictionary