- A thin, slimy film of bacteria that adheres to a surface.More example sentences
- Often bacteria live in biofilms, or communities attached to a surface such as a rock in a pond or the lining of an intestine.
- They can attach to solid surfaces and form biofilms that are defined as matrix-enclosed microbial populations adherent to each other and to surfaces or interfaces.
- Certain genes, called vps genes, enable V. cholerae to stick together in bacterial communities, or biofilms, in both fresh and salt water.
More definitions of biofilmDefinition of biofilm in:
- The British & World English dictionary