1Having artificial body parts, especially electromechanical ones.
- Back in the 1970s, Steve Austin amazed the TV-watching world with his fictional bionic replacement body parts.
- It can even become the basis of artificial sight - bionic eyes.
- The Bionic Man was an entertaining piece of fictional TV, but Steve Austin's bionic eye is now a reality.
1.1 informal Having ordinary human powers increased by the aid of bionic devices (real or fictional): working out in gymnasiums to become bionic men
More example sentences
- I like to think that these detectors are like bionic ears for the human race to allow us to listen to the sounds of the universe for the first time.
- Unless television has steered me wrong all these years, surely being bionic means you become some kind of super human.
- Future enhancements will include fuel cells as well as bionic strength - well, not really, as ASIMO can only lift about two pounds.
- Example sentences
- His newest creation is a genetically enhanced, bionically augmented bandicoot named Crunch whose sole purpose is to destroy Crash, but Cortex needs additional power sources to complete its construction.
- In ‘Run’ for example, a young man and woman are sprinting, rather bionically, down an empty school hallway lined with lockers.
- Yeah, we've been rubbish at updates, but we're back now and the NoiseMonkey staff have been bionically improved by broadband.
1960s: from bio- 'human', on the pattern of electronic.
Words that rhyme with bionicanachronic, animatronic, Brythonic, bubonic, Byronic, canonic, carbonic, catatonic, chalcedonic, chronic, colonic, conic, cyclonic, daemonic, demonic, diatonic, draconic, electronic, embryonic, euphonic, harmonic, hegemonic, histrionic, homophonic, hypersonic, iconic, ionic, ironic, isotonic, laconic, macaronic, Masonic, Miltonic, mnemonic, monotonic, moronic, Napoleonic, philharmonic, phonic, Platonic, Plutonic, polyphonic, quadraphonic, sardonic, saxophonic, siphonic, Slavonic, sonic, stereophonic, subsonic, subtonic, symphonic, tectonic, Teutonic, thermionic, tonic, transonic, ultrasonic
Definition of bionic in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.