- A mental disorder marked by alternating periods of elation and depression. Also called (especially formerly) manic depression. Compare with unipolar.More example sentences
- Signs of chronic mental illnesses such as bipolar disorder or schizophrenia may first show up in childhood.
- Like every other mental ailment, bipolar disorder is treated through medication and counseling.
- Patients with chronic severe depressive and anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, and bipolar disorders are particularly in need of specialty consultation and management.
More definitions of bipolar disorderDefinition of bipolar disorder in:
- The British & World English dictionary