1A note uttered by a bird for the purpose of contact, alarm, or marking its territory.
- As the moon was waxing and a nasty storm had just moved through, I was sitting near an open window about 8pm when I heard it… a distinctive bird call not like the usual night birds I hear.
- We had left the woods and were walking on the other side of the fence bordering the park when we heard an unfamiliar bird call.
- Canary creates a spectrogram, or visual representation of each bird call.
1.1An instrument imitating a bird call, used especially by hunters.
- Supporters counter that it is no more unfair than using bird calls and decoys to attract birds or using baited hooks to catch fish.
- New Agers of either sex will have collections full of warbling pan pipes, waterfalls and bird calls.
- Students were carving birds, making bird calls (this was a surprisingly big group), making leather bracelets, candles, and glass jewelery, as well as doing some pottery.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: bird call
Definition of bird call in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.