Definition of birthwort in English:
A climbing or herbaceous plant that typically has heart-shaped leaves and deep-throated, often pipe-shaped, flowers. It was formerly used as an aid to childbirth and to induce abortion.
- Genus Aristolochia, family Aristolochiaceae
- The three groups of paleoherbs are Aristolochiales (birthwort, Dutchman's pipe), Piperales (pepper vine, lizard's tails), and Nymphaeales (lotus, waterlilies).
- The female common birdwing lays single eggs, which she attaches to the surface of the Indian birthwort leaves.
- Many of the plant relicts are members of old families: heathers, orchids, honeysuckles, birthworts, and lillies.
Definition of birthwort in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India