Definition of biting midge in English:
A very small fly that typically occurs in large swarms. The female has piercing mouthparts and feeds on the blood of a variety of animals including humans.
- Family Ceratopogonidae: numerous genera and species, including the punkie (Culicoides and related genera)
- Similarly, the Mosquito Magnet mimics a human by emitting a plume of carbon dioxide, heat and moisture, and an attractant, octenol, which targets mosquitoes, biting midges, black flies and sandflies.
- Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).
- Haemoproteus is transmitted by sandflies, or biting midges, of the genus Culicoides, and by louse-flies, both of which occur in the Lesser Antilles.
Definition of biting midge in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan