1A large, aggressive American vulture with black plumage and a short square tail. Also called carrion crow.
- Coragyps atratus, family Cathartidae
- The three vulture species in North America, the turkey vulture, black vulture, and California condor, are in the family cathartidae.
- Huge, black vultures soar over canyon, desert and forest, circling nimbly on updrafts.
- I don't see any black vultures but I do see the better soaring turkey vultures and a number of hawks.
2A very large Old World vulture with blackish-brown plumage, now rare in Europe. Also called cinereous vulture.
- Aygypius monachus, family Accipitridae
- Snow lay thin on the dunes, while a black vulture cruised above my head.
- We deal with everything from the smallest white-eye to a black vulture, from hedgehogs to jackals.
- The black stork, black vulture, and endangered Spanish imperial eagle are among the 42 species of birds that depend on the cork woodlands.
Definition of black vulture in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.