- 1(Of a photograph, movie, television program, or illustration) in black, white, shades of gray, and no other color: old black-and-white moviesMore example sentences
- The first photograph was a black-and-white wedding photo, slightly yellowed with age.
- It was painted from an old black-and-white photograph somebody had lent her: she added the colours herself.
- My class is taught to develop their own film and produce black-and-white photos.
- 1.1(Of a television) displaying images only in black, white, and shades of gray.More example sentences
- A small building, equipped with a black-and-white television set, was built at the left corner of the area.
- On a dilapidated black-and-white television sits an old kerosene lamp which he lights when a blackout plunges him into darkness.
- S2B includes two lamps and an outlet for a portable black-and-white television.
- 2(Of a situation or debate) involving clearly defined opposing principles or issues: there is nothing black and white about these mattersMore example sentences
- The only problem, of course, is that neither situation is a black-and-white issue.
- Your question appears to raise an issue that is fairly black-and-white.
- Is potential failure assessment a black-and-white issue or does it depend on who is asking the questions and when?
nounUS • informal Back to top
- A police car.More example sentences
- I just got back from the class and noticed quite a few agencies have gone to black & whites.
- Nothing says "Police" like a black & white.
- Saw the Jefferson CSO (CO) Dodge Charger black and white with LEDS on a traffic stop today.
in black and white
- 1In writing or in print, and regarded as more reliable, credible, or formal than by word of mouth: getting her contract down in black and whiteMore example sentences
in print, printed, written down, set down, on paper, recorded, on record, documented
- Of course, the charts were printed right there in black and white, and they were always dominated by stuff like this.
- It's all there in black and white, in leaked European Union documents which are now published on the Internet.
- Though this dependence was glossed over, it was there in black and white for anyone who chose to read the paper carefully enough.
- 2In terms of clearly defined opposing principles or issues: children think in black and white, good and badMore example sentences
- They crave books which confirm mythical notions of a magnificent past, in which villains and heroes are clearly drawn in black and white.
- You cannot see everything in this world in black and white terms.
- Doping in sport tends to be presented in black and white terms, but this case illustrated that it is not always so simple.
More definitions of black and whiteDefinition of black and white in:
- The British & World English dictionary