Definition of black consciousness in English:
1Awareness of one’s identity as a black person.
- His reaction raises the question of black autonomy and self-possession, suggesting that these parts of black consciousness cannot emerge through the actions of white liberals.
- The characters in his comic strip are a throwback to ‘Jesse B. Semple,’ a voice of black consciousness that the author unleashed in the weekly paper in 1942.
- Jazz and blues singers pioneered messages of black consciousness and artistic collaboration.
1.1A political movement or ideology (particularly in the US and South Africa) seeking to unite black people in affirming their common identity.
- Marcus Garvey's radical black consciousness and back-to-Africa movement, which had found widespread support in US cities, did start branches in South Africa.
- He started an ideology he called black consciousness to revive self-confidence in blacks.
- The respect for human rights as a motivating force makes both black consciousness and socialism so different from all the perverse variations of totalitarianism, which claim to serve people but destroy them.
Definition of black consciousness in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia