Any of a number of flowers that have yellowish petals and a dark center, in particular.
- ● a daisylike North American flower with bristly leaves and stems (Rudbeckia hirta and its hybrids, family Compositae). ● a slender tropical climber, grown as a popular indoor or greenhouse plant (Thunbergia alata, family Acanthaceae).
More example sentences
- Purple coneflower, black-eyed Susans, sedums and grasses should be left as they are; if they look particularly messy, plant a few stakes and tie the leaves up.
- How I loved those fields of wildflowers - especially the black-eyed Susans with their huge black eye surrounded by delicate petals of gold.
- He picked up his binoculars and they swayed over to the Rassaby garden, pink veils of roses tumbling over the fence, morning glories and orange nasturtiums tangled in black-eyed Susans.
Definition of black-eyed Susan in:
- The British & World English dictionary