Definition of black grouse in English:
noun (plural same)
A large Eurasian grouse, the male of which has glossy blue-black plumage and a lyre-shaped tail. The males display in communal leks.
- Tetrao tetrix, family Tetraonidae (or Phasianidae); the male is called a blackcock and the female a greyhen
- Grouse numbers are up by 25 per cent on last year and conditions have been ideal for other rare moorland game birds, such as the black grouse and grey partridge.
- We have some exceptionally rare birds there, like hen harriers, black grouse, and we are setting up an osprey platform.
- Large uninhabited forests and mountain areas have supported a rich wildlife and provided opportunities for hunting (elk, reindeer, red and roe deer, hare, ptarmigan, black grouse, capercaillie).
Definition of black grouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.