Definition of black grouse in English:
noun (plural same)
A large Eurasian grouse, the male of which has glossy blue-black plumage and a lyre-shaped tail. The males display in communal leks.
- Tetrao tetrix, family Tetraonidae (or Phasianidae); the male is called a blackcock and the female a greyhen
- Grouse numbers are up by 25 per cent on last year and conditions have been ideal for other rare moorland game birds, such as the black grouse and grey partridge.
- We have some exceptionally rare birds there, like hen harriers, black grouse, and we are setting up an osprey platform.
- Large uninhabited forests and mountain areas have supported a rich wildlife and provided opportunities for hunting (elk, reindeer, red and roe deer, hare, ptarmigan, black grouse, capercaillie).
Definition of black grouse in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan