Definition of black guillemot in English:
A seabird of the auk family with black summer plumage and large white wing patches, breeding on the coasts of the Arctic and North Atlantic.
- Cepphus grylle, family Alcidae
- On Alaska's North Slope, the researcher says diminishing sea ice is contributing to the disappearance of seabirds called black guillemots.
- Throughout the isles you'll come across throngs of Arctic terns and both species of skuas, as well as black guillemots, gannets, shags, and Storm and Leach's petrels.
- The black guillemot is a sexually monomorphic seabird that exhibits marked interpair variation in a number of breeding parameters.
Definition of black guillemot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.