Definition of black guillemot in English:
A seabird of the auk family with black summer plumage and large white wing patches, breeding on the coasts of the Arctic and North Atlantic.
- Cepphus grylle, family Alcidae
- On Alaska's North Slope, the researcher says diminishing sea ice is contributing to the disappearance of seabirds called black guillemots.
- Throughout the isles you'll come across throngs of Arctic terns and both species of skuas, as well as black guillemots, gannets, shags, and Storm and Leach's petrels.
- The black guillemot is a sexually monomorphic seabird that exhibits marked interpair variation in a number of breeding parameters.
Definition of black guillemot in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan