Definition of black rat in English:
A rat with dark fur, large ears, and a long tail. It is found throughout the world, being particularly common in the tropics, and is the chief host of the plague-transmitting flea. Also called roof rat.
- Rattus rattus, family Muridae
- The plague likely spread to Europe on the backs of shipboard black rats that carried plague-infested fleas.
- The reptile house will become the mouse house, home to all kinds of rodents including black rats.
- The small animals we call rats come in two types, the black rat and the Norway rat, and they have lived with man throughout history.
Definition of black rat in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan