A rat with dark fur, large ears, and a long tail. It is found throughout the world, being particularly common in the tropics, and is the chief host of the plague-transmitting flea. Also called roof rat.
- Rattus rattus, family Muridae
More example sentences
- The plague likely spread to Europe on the backs of shipboard black rats that carried plague-infested fleas.
- The reptile house will become the mouse house, home to all kinds of rodents including black rats.
- The small animals we call rats come in two types, the black rat and the Norway rat, and they have lived with man throughout history.
More definitions of black ratDefinition of black rat in:
- The British & World English dictionary