- A geothermal vent on the seabed that ejects superheated water containing much suspended matter, typically black sulfide minerals.More example sentences
- The purpose of the journey was to observe the life that masses around hydrothermal vents or black smokers.
- The bacteria-like organism lives in a hellish undersea environment where water boils out from underwater vents called black smokers.
- When scientists discovered lush colonies of organisms surrounding black smokers on the ocean floor, they began wondering how these animals maintained their populations.
More definitions of black smokerDefinition of black smoker in:
- The British & World English dictionary