noun (plural blackberries)
1An edible soft fruit, consisting of a cluster of soft purple-black drupelets.
- Sweet muscadine grapes, blackberries, apples, jujubes and a host of other fruits will be available at these upcoming sales.
- Cantaloupe is a perfect mix with other melons and fruit - kiwi, bananas, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, grapes and raspberries, to name a few.
- I was going to wax lyrical about my weekend, walking round the estate picking blackberries, apples and Damsons.
2The prickly climbing shrub of the rose family that bears this fruit and that grows extensively in the wild.
- Rubus fruticosus, family Rosaceae (sometimes treated as an aggregate of many species)
- They attack the stems of roses, blackberries, raspberries, and dewberries growing in damp, shady places.
- Pruning raspberries and blackberries can be a snap if you follow a few simple steps.
- This is a large genus of usually thorny shrubs, including raspberries and blackberries.
verb (blackberries, blackberrying, blackberried)[no object] (usually as noun blackberrying) Back to top
Gather blackberries in the wild.
- Like him, I too used to go blackberrying in my youth, so that my mother could make vast quantities of jam and pies in those pre-freezer days.
- Today we listened to music in bed with the papers, had a cooked breakfast in bed, played with our new cat friend and went blackberrying in the village.
- The one I'll be making this weekend will contain redcurrants, blackcurrants, strawberries, raspberries, blackberries (I'm going blackberrying when I've finished this!) and peaches.
Words that rhyme with blackberryhackberry
trademark A handheld mobile device that provides Internet access along with email, telephone, and text messaging services.
- Against the advice of his lawyers, he appears poised to keep his beloved BlackBerry, a link to the outside world.
- Despite security concerns, he says they'll have to pry his BlackBerry out of his hands.
- Friends kept him apprised of developments by sending e-mail messages to his BlackBerry.
verb (BlackBerries, BlackBerrying, BlackBerried)[with object] Back to top
Communicate with (someone) using a BlackBerry device: I was BlackBerrying them while the speech was going on [no object]: they blogged, BlackBerried, and texted—sometimes contacting someone only a few feet away
More example sentences
- They BlackBerried each other deep into the night.
- Anyway, BlackBerried in sick this morning, crawled back into bed and went back to sleep.
- Clearly, they're able to take BlackBerrying to a whole new level.
Words that rhyme with BlackBerryberiberi, berry, bury, Ceri, Derry, ferry, Gerry, jerry, Kerry, merry, perry, Pondicherry, sherry, terry, very, wherry, wolfberry
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.