- 1.1(In Italy) a member of a paramilitary group founded by Mussolini.More example sentences
- The quasi-official terror gangs of the 1920s - the Freikorps in Germany, blackshirts in Italy, and Black and Tans in Ireland - did not reappear.
- Even Mussolini's fascism attracted Jabotinsky's Revisionist Party, and the Betar youth movement was, to some degree, modeled on the Italian blackshirts.
- 1.2(In Nazi Germany) a member of the SS.More example sentences
- His people are like the blackshirts of Nazi Germany.
1920s: so named because of the color of the Italian Fascist uniform.
More definitions of blackshirtDefinition of blackshirt in:
- The British & World English dictionary