- 1Lacking strong features or characteristics and therefore uninteresting: rebelling against the bland uniformityMore example sentences
uninteresting, dull, boring, tedious, monotonous, monochrome, dry, drab, dreary, wearisome; unexciting, unimaginative, uninspiring, uninspired, lackluster, uninvolving, vapid, flat, stale, trite• informal blah, plain-vanilla, white-bread, banal, commonplace, humdrum, ho-hum, vacuous, wishy-washy
- The current station is far from perfect, but at least it has character, which this bland, uninspired new design fails to achieve.
- Its visuals are disappointingly mediocre, featuring bland and utterly uninspired track designs.
- The peripheral characters are given similarly bland treatment.
- 1.1(Of food or drink) mild or insipid: bland and unadventurous vegetarian dish bland beers of mediocre qualityMore example sentences
- These companies seemed to believe that what drinkers wanted to drink was bland beer that was fizzy and tasteless.
- Favor simple, bland foods and cool drinks, and avoid alcohol and drinks with caffeine.
- The food was bland and unappealing, with no flavour she could tolerate.
- 1.2(Of a person or behavior) showing no strong emotion; dull and unremarkable: offering bland reassurance his expression was bland and unreadableMore example sentences
- It is easiest to define first what its role should not be - bland reassurance.
- The simple repetition of bland reassurance that fails to address patients' fears is ineffective.
- He spoke in a voice so calm and bland, it stuck in the air like an emotionless reverberation.
- More example sentences
- His office is a windowless box inside a dreary space, decorated blandly with laminated advertisements for his company.
- He almost seemed a corporate entity, blandly efficient, compared to the rascals and characters who preceded him.
- Unfortunately, both these guys are in a movie that's blandly superficial and notably lacking in dramatic tension.
- More example sentences
- There is none of the monotony or blandness that might normally be associated with a cold minimalist concept.
- The film came out of a conversation with Nicole, who was looking for something edgy to work on and was complaining about the blandness of world cinema.
- You really cannot appreciate the boring blandness of feeling well until you have it taken away from you for the better part of a month.
late Middle English (in the sense 'gentle in manner'): from Latin blandus 'soft, smooth'.