- A common green freshwater alga that forms long unbranched filaments. It can be a problem in overenriched water and garden ponds.
More example sentences
- Genus Spirogyra, phylum Chlorophyta, kingdom Plantae (or Protista)
- Back at home, one of our chores this week has been scooping blanket weed out of the pond.
- The shade from the lily pads and the maple was sufficient to keep down the slimy blanket weed that was threatening to fill the pond earlier in the season.
- He does admit that blanket weed can be a nuisance with newly installed ponds, particularly towards the end of a hot summer.