Definition of blastocoel in English:
The fluid-filled cavity of a blastula. Also called segmentation cavity.
- Inside this spherical mass of cells, a fluid-filled cavity - the blastocoel - develops in the animal region and the embryo is now called a blastula.
- Involution occurs here, as cells divide and push other cells into the blastocoel from the top of the dorsal lip.
- The blastocoel appears bright grey, the animal cap darker-gray and the vegetal pole black.
- Example sentences
- At blastula stage 8, cells forming the blastocoelic roof were cultured in isolation as explants.
- An early blastocyst, containing a small amount of blastocoelic fluid, is shown to the right.
- The blastocoelic cavity usually collapses during the early stages of implantation.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia