Definition of blastoderm in English:
1The layer of embryonic tissue that forms prior to the development of the embryonic axis.
- Early development is essentially two-dimensional; patterning occurs mainly in the blastoderm, the superficial layer of the embryo that consists first of nuclei and later of cells.
- In the fruit fly, segments are genetically delimitated early and simultaneously, when the embryo still is a blastoderm and the process of segmentation does not involve somites.
- We examined Fumble staining during the mitotic divisions of the cellular blastoderm.
1.1The outer layer of cells that forms the wall of a blastula.
- When the membranes surrounding the peripheral nuclei fuse to form the 6000 cells of the cellular blastoderm, they enclose 175-225 polyploid yolk nuclei within a large syncytial yolk cell.
- As a result, the blastodisc on the yolk becomes a blastoderm.
- When the egg is laid, the blastoderm contains several hundred cells.
- Example sentences
- The source of cancer has not been determined finally, whether cellular or blastodermic.
- Because each blastodermic cell in an embryo is capable of dividing and multiplying, the process results in multiple developing embryos where previously there had been only one.
- After development to a small blastodermic disc, the embryos enter a state of diapause that lasts approximately 7 months.
Definition of blastoderm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan