1The layer of embryonic tissue that forms prior to the development of the embryonic axis.
- Early development is essentially two-dimensional; patterning occurs mainly in the blastoderm, the superficial layer of the embryo that consists first of nuclei and later of cells.
- In the fruit fly, segments are genetically delimitated early and simultaneously, when the embryo still is a blastoderm and the process of segmentation does not involve somites.
- We examined Fumble staining during the mitotic divisions of the cellular blastoderm.
1.1The outer layer of cells that forms the wall of a blastula.
- When the membranes surrounding the peripheral nuclei fuse to form the 6000 cells of the cellular blastoderm, they enclose 175-225 polyploid yolk nuclei within a large syncytial yolk cell.
- As a result, the blastodisc on the yolk becomes a blastoderm.
- When the egg is laid, the blastoderm contains several hundred cells.
- Example sentences
- The source of cancer has not been determined finally, whether cellular or blastodermic.
- Because each blastodermic cell in an embryo is capable of dividing and multiplying, the process results in multiple developing embryos where previously there had been only one.
- After development to a small blastodermic disc, the embryos enter a state of diapause that lasts approximately 7 months.
Definition of blastoderm in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.