Definition of blazing star in English:
Any of a number of North American plants, some of which are cultivated for their flowers, in particular.
- ● A plant of the daisy family with tall spikes of purple or white flowers (genus Liatris, family Compositae. ● A plant of the western US with toothed leaves and yellow flowers (genus Mentzelia, family Loasaceae), especially the gray-leaved, large-flowered giant blazing star (M. laevicaulis. ● Devil’s bit.
- In Missouri, some glades do resemble prairies, with plants that include big and little bluestem, Indian grass, Indian paintbrush, prairie larkspur, purple coneflower, and blazing stars.
- By the time of the first prescribed burn, Heller's blazing star, another declining species within the same habitat, had been listed as threatened.
- Showing off in autumn are blazing star, bristleleaf chaffhead, goldcrest, redroot, two kinds of native sunflower, woolly sunbonnets, and several species of yellow-eyed grasses.
Definition of blazing star in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.