Definition of blazing star in English:
Any of a number of North American plants, some of which are cultivated for their flowers, in particular.
- ● A plant of the daisy family with tall spikes of purple or white flowers (genus Liatris, family Compositae. ● A plant of the western US with toothed leaves and yellow flowers (genus Mentzelia, family Loasaceae), especially the gray-leaved, large-flowered giant blazing star (M. laevicaulis. ● Devil’s bit.
- In Missouri, some glades do resemble prairies, with plants that include big and little bluestem, Indian grass, Indian paintbrush, prairie larkspur, purple coneflower, and blazing stars.
- By the time of the first prescribed burn, Heller's blazing star, another declining species within the same habitat, had been listed as threatened.
- Showing off in autumn are blazing star, bristleleaf chaffhead, goldcrest, redroot, two kinds of native sunflower, woolly sunbonnets, and several species of yellow-eyed grasses.
Definition of blazing star in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan