Definition of blockade runner in English:
1A vessel that runs or attempts to run into or out of a blockaded port.
- After two unsuccessful attempts to use Confederate money to book passage to Europe on a blockade runner out of Wilmington, North Carolina, Garidel realized that he was trapped in Richmond.
- The Denbigh was the last blockade runner between Havana and Mobile to escape.
- Blockades of enemy ports during war time tend to develop that peculiar kind of person and ship, the blockade runners.
2The owner, master, or one of the crew of a blockade runner.
- Merchants, mercenaries, pirates, blockade runners, and all sorts of travelers come through Nerlack Lunar Base daily, slipping unnoticed onboard a ship will not be difficult.
- CenSec had to deal with everything - petty criminals, paramilitaries, and investigative work, and on occasion - pirates and blockade runners.
Definition of blockade runner in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia