Definition of blockbusting in English:
Very successful commercially: his blockbusting novel
More example sentences
- Together, our crusade to save the cinema can be a blockbusting success.
- Wayne gave his usual blockbusting performance, taking the ball up and making metres and stitching up the middle with his tackling.
- My recent letter about the humourless programme was published just before the blockbusting episode watched by nearly 20 million viewers.
nounNorth American Back to top
The practice of persuading owners to sell property cheaply because of the fear of people of another race or class moving into the neighborhood, and thus profiting by reselling at a higher price.
- Neither were neighborhoods victimized by blockbusting.
- So deep was white Chicagoans' hostility to the practice that activists labored to stop such blockbusting even when they were willing to live alongside African American neighbors.
- The agency did not systematically discourage either racial discrimination or blockbusting.
Words that rhyme with blockbustinglinocutting
Definition of blockbusting in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan