Definition of bloodsucker in English:
1An insect or other animal that sucks blood, especially a leech or a mosquito.
- The female mosquitoes become the bloodsuckers, and they use their long proboscis to bite other animals and feed on their blood.
- She was suddenly keenly aware off all the little pricks on her skin, where mosquitoes, the rotten little bloodsuckers, were feasting on her exposed flesh.
- Doctors in the US are warning people to avoid the natural response to squash the insects but instead recommend giving the bloodsuckers a flick.
3A person who extorts money.
- Ah, but… These bloodsuckers prey on the poor, often Native folk: car title loans, payday loans, personal loans up to $500.
- Ironically, the blood is now being sucked out the other way: India's hill stations will soon be sucked dry by a new variety of bloodsuckers.
- There are greedy bloodsuckers and there are banks.
3.1A person who lives off others; a parasite.
- ‘I only said that because you were trying to attach yourself to her like some kind of bloodsucker,’ Shouma said, leaning comfortably into his crutches.
- I don't think that the people who make exaggerated petty claims are the worst bloodsuckers though, they are just greedy, self-centred and inconsiderate freeloaders.
- I'd give him more advice about the hypocrites surrounding him and say, ‘Look, all these are just bloodsuckers.’
- Example sentences
- He pulls up his shirt to reveal a bloodsucking creature attached to his belly.
- When outdoors, people are encouraged to use an insect repellant containing DEET, an active ingredient unequalled at keeping the bloodsucking pests at bay.
- The extent to which I hate bloodsucking ticks can hardly be described and I subject myself to intense and private scrutiny when I return home.
Definition of bloodsucker in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia