Definition of bloodworm in English:
1The bright red aquatic larva of a nonbiting midge, the blood of which contains hemoglobin that allows it to live in poorly oxygenated water.
- Genus Chironomus, family Chironomidae
- We get everything from herbivorous reptiles to aquatic animals that eat bloodworms.
- You'll need to check to see if bloodworm is allowed as it is banned on some venues.
- With a few truly bizarre exceptions (such as the chironomid bloodworms that breed in sewage), insects don't even have hemoglobin.
Words that rhyme with bloodwormlugworm • lungworm
Definition of bloodworm in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.