Definition of bloviate in English:
verb[no object] US informal
Talk at length, especially in an inflated or empty way.
- But that is nothing compared to the 4-page bio on her shameless web site, which bloviates at length about, among other things, her ‘honorary degree’.
- Until this is corrected, a president and secretary of state bloviating about freedom and democracy is received by the rest of the world as mere window-dressing.
- He spent his entire 10 minutes bloviating and talking about how much he liked him that the the time ran out and he didn't have time to even pose a question.
Mid 19th century: perhaps from blow1.
- Example sentences
- Not to mention a lot of truly ignorant bloviation about how much Michael ‘hates America.’
- It's just with 24 hours to fill for the cable channels, and all those news magazine shows on the networks, there is also an awful lot of repetition, padding, filler, nonsense, bloviation, and nonsensical chatter - just like the Internet.
- What is more shameful is what they are covering, essentially human-interest stories, with long stretches of valuable airtime wasted with bloviation on trivial legal maneuvers.
- Example sentences
- Alice especially despised those sorts of affected fools found in disproportionately large numbers in academe: bloviators, bad photographers, bad writers, poseurs.
- In a vacuum or at the state level they are vulnerable to the self-satisfied: cruisers, well-funded sinecures, bloviators, experts without portfolios or the simply ineffective.
- They said I was jumping down from my perch and turning myself into just another bloviator in the unregulated, highly idiosyncratic and often preposterously self-indulgent crowd of bloggers.
Definition of bloviate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan