Definition of blowpipe in English:
1 another term for blowgun.
- They did unanimously approve of the four-foot hand-tooled blowpipe - so much so that the vendor presented me with a well-used bamboo tube of poison darts.
- With machete in one hand and blowpipe in the other, the chief of the village, Pali Ajung, took me up into the hills to see the forest they fought so hard to keep.
- Amad Dy opened his mouth to speak, hand's upraised but it was another tiny movement that caught Cryel's fixed gaze distracting him, for just behind the King a stealthy figure was raising a blowpipe to its lips.
2A long tube by means of which molten glass is blown into the required shape.
- To accomplish this the bottom half of an object still attached to the blowpipe is dipped into molten glass and then pressed into a bronze mold to create a thick ribbed pattern.
- When all is ready, he gathers clear hot glass on his blowpipe and then carefully rolls the 20-to 25-pound gather of hot glass into a cylinder.
- Her two very large, flesh-colored balloon sculptures initially resemble pinkish bubbles that have emerged from their blowpipe in contiguous clumps.
2.1A tube used to intensify the heat of a flame by blowing air or other gas through it at high pressure.
- Local heating by blowpipe or torch is not recommended, but when this is necessary precautions must be taken to avoid local overheating.
- ‘We soon discovered iron-smelting debris - fragments of charcoal, slag raw iron and broken blowpipes on the floor of the furnace,’ says Mason.
- It was here that he invented the oxy-hydrogen blowpipe, a system for burning a jet of oxygen and hydrogen to produce an intensely hot flame.
Definition of blowpipe in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan