1A large South African crane with blue-gray plumage. Also called Stanley crane.
- Anthropoides paradisea, family Gruidae
More example sentences
- He addressed groups of pupils at the High School on the plight of the three species of endangered cranes - the crowned crane, the blue crane and the wattled crane - in South Africa.
- Running around this landscape of giant heathers, you will also see ostriches, bonteboks, baboons and, if you are lucky, a fly-past from the elegant national bird, the blue crane.
- Pointing out a blue crane, the symbol of South Africa, one ranger wondered what the next symbol would be - ‘a rainbow chicken?’
Definition of blue crane in:
- The British & World English dictionary