(British blue riband)
Definition of blue ribbon in English:
1A badge made of blue ribbon and given as first prize to the winner of a competition.
- Have an adult tally up the votes and make sure your winner gets a blue ribbon!
- Nine-year-old Davey had won and proudly wore a blue ribbon declaring him the winner pinned to his overalls.
- The room was filled with innumerable awards, trophies, blue ribbons, award-winning essays and such.
1.1(In the UK) a badge worn by members of the Order of the Garter.
- Each knight, or lady, also receives the glittering Garter Star and a blue riband bearing a smaller badge called the Lesser George - most of which they keep at home.
- The Lesser George is gold and is situated at the bottom of the blue riband, or sash, worn over the shoulder.
- Charles II. introduced the blue riband.
adjective[attributive] North American Back to top
Definition of blue ribbon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan