(British blue riband)
Definition of blue ribbon in English:
1A badge made of blue ribbon and given as first prize to the winner of a competition.
- Have an adult tally up the votes and make sure your winner gets a blue ribbon!
- Nine-year-old Davey had won and proudly wore a blue ribbon declaring him the winner pinned to his overalls.
- The room was filled with innumerable awards, trophies, blue ribbons, award-winning essays and such.
1.1(In the UK) a badge worn by members of the Order of the Garter.
- Each knight, or lady, also receives the glittering Garter Star and a blue riband bearing a smaller badge called the Lesser George - most of which they keep at home.
- The Lesser George is gold and is situated at the bottom of the blue riband, or sash, worn over the shoulder.
- Charles II. introduced the blue riband.
adjective[attributive] North American Back to top
Definition of blue ribbon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.