1A common blowfly with a metallic-blue body, the female of which often comes into houses searching for a suitable food source on which to lay her eggs.
- Calliphora vomitoria, family Calliphoridae
More example sentences
- Blowflies, such as greenbottles and bluebottles, are attracted to your rabbit and its housing by the presence of faeces, urine, rotting vegetables and open wounds.
- Would we do the same for baby rats, or baby cockroaches or baby bluebottles?
- My kitchen window is at the back of the house and if I leave it open the house is filled with brown flies - they are not the normal bluebottles but flies which feed on sewage.
Definition of bluebottle in:
- The British & World English dictionary