A low-growing North American plant of the bedstraw family, with small four-petaled flowers and paired leaves. Bluets often grow in large groups.
- Genus Houstonia (or Hedyotis), family Rubiaceae: several species, especially H. caerulea, with milky-blue or white flowers, and long-leaved bluets (H. longifolia), with white or lavender flowers
More example sentences
- That bluet breaks me up, tiny spring flower late, late in dour October.
- He stands as a glad, unnecessary witness to an event - the bluets unseasonable flowering - made possible and then actually made by ‘stamina.’
- Those little bluets look so sweet!
early 18th century: from French, diminutive of bleu 'blue'.
Definition of bluet in:
- The British & World English dictionary