Definition of boatbill in English:
noun(also boat-billed heron)
A small Central and South American heron with a broad, flattened bill and a prominent black crest.
- Cochlearius cochlearius, family Ardeidae
- Our guide was especially knowledgeable about the bird life and was able to show us three boat-billed herons - magnificent tropical birds with broad bills.
- The Hacienda La Pacifica resort complex, adjacent to these preserves, is popular with birders for the natural habitat along the river right on its grounds, where boat-billed herons come to roost.
- Entire avian families, including cotingas, manakins, toucans, and ground antbirds, are essentially confined to the Neotropics, as are such unique species as screamers, trumpeters, sunbittern, hoatzin, and boat-billed heron.
Definition of boatbill in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan