- 1A flat-topped hardened straw hat with a brim.[so named because originally worn while boating]More example sentences
- The men wear flat caps, bowlers, straw boaters, trilbies, toppers; the women shawls or floral hats.
- I have spotted flat caps, straw boaters, and one trilby.
- Standing idly beside them are the ‘drivers’, who, with their straw boaters and white shirts and trousers would not look out of place beside a punt in Oxford or Cambridge.
- 2A person who uses or travels in a boat for pleasure.More example sentences
- Speeding to the aid of boat manufacturers, marinas and pleasure boaters, Norton is trying to weaken protections for Florida's endangered manatees.
- Instead, speeding to the aid of boat manufacturers, marinas and pleasure boaters, she's trying to weaken protections for the imperiled sea cows.
- It will allow local and visiting recreational boaters to travel along the coast, stop at a variety of overnight accommodations, visit local attractions, and use local services.
More definitions of boaterDefinition of boater in:
- The British & World English dictionary