(also bo'sun or bosun)
- A ship’s officer in charge of equipment and the crew.More example sentences
- He served in the merchant marines as a boatswain and a machinist's mate when ships were going to places of interest.
- A boatswain's mate on a ship's forecastle might not be paying attention to the color of the anchor chain paying out of the locker, or turn the friction brake in the wrong direction, with disastrous results.
- Typically, it's a boatswain's mate or a quartermaster running the ship, while an engineer and one or two seaman line handlers assist in the shipboard operations.
More definitions of boatswainDefinition of boatswain in:
- The British & World English dictionary