(also bobby sox)
nounNorth American • dated
- Short socks reaching just above the ankle (used chiefly in the 1940s and 1950s to refer to the socks worn by teenage girls).More example sentences
- In Isis, a young girl with a small, sweet smile poses shyly in a short white dress, bobby socks and a wedding veil.
- Elizabeth dresses in pinafores, bobby sox, and Keds.
- The 1950s featured bobby socks, crew cuts, Hogan caps and persimmon.
1940s: compare with bob2 in the sense 'cut short'.
More definitions of bobby socksDefinition of bobby socks in:
- The British & World English dictionary