Definition of bobolink in English:
A North American songbird of the American blackbird family, with a finchlike bill. The male has black, buff, and white plumage.
- Dolichonyx oryzivorus, family Icteridae
- In breeding plumage, male bobolinks are mostly black, with a buff nape, white shoulder patches, and a white rump.
- Redbirds, bluebirds, robins, bobolinks, scarlet tanagers, Kentucky warblers, and orchard orioles strut and sing like the cast of a turn-of-the-century revue.
- Grasslands and prairies support a number of polygynous species as well, including meadowlarks, bobolinks, dickcissels, lark buntings, and great-tailed grackles.
late 18th century (originally Bob o'Lincoln, Bob Lincoln): imitative of its call.
Definition of bobolink in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan