Definition of bobolink in English:
A North American songbird of the American blackbird family, with a finchlike bill. The male has black, buff, and white plumage.
- Dolichonyx oryzivorus, family Icteridae
- In breeding plumage, male bobolinks are mostly black, with a buff nape, white shoulder patches, and a white rump.
- Redbirds, bluebirds, robins, bobolinks, scarlet tanagers, Kentucky warblers, and orchard orioles strut and sing like the cast of a turn-of-the-century revue.
- Grasslands and prairies support a number of polygynous species as well, including meadowlarks, bobolinks, dickcissels, lark buntings, and great-tailed grackles.
late 18th century (originally Bob o'Lincoln, Bob Lincoln): imitative of its call.
Definition of bobolink in:
- British & World English dictionary