(also bobwhite quail)
Definition of bobwhite in English:
A New World quail with mottled reddish-brown plumage, and typically a pale throat and eyestripe.
- Genus Colinus, family Phasianidae: two species, in particular the northern (or common) bobwhite (C. virginianus)
- On the hunting fields, 12,000 birds are harvested annually, consisting of pheasants, chukar partridge and bobwhite quail.
- Sadly, the 38 bobwhite reported by only 5 observers, plus a covey of 6 seen before the count, confirms the rapid decline of these once abundant Cape birds.
- The bobwhite is an excellent example of a species on the wane.
Early 19th century: imitative of its call.
Definition of bobwhite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.