(also bobwhite quail)
Definition of bobwhite in English:
A New World quail with mottled reddish-brown plumage, and typically a pale throat and eyestripe.
- Genus Colinus, family Phasianidae: two species, in particular the northern (or common) bobwhite (C. virginianus)
- On the hunting fields, 12,000 birds are harvested annually, consisting of pheasants, chukar partridge and bobwhite quail.
- Sadly, the 38 bobwhite reported by only 5 observers, plus a covey of 6 seen before the count, confirms the rapid decline of these once abundant Cape birds.
- The bobwhite is an excellent example of a species on the wane.
early 19th century: imitative of its call.
Words that rhyme with bobwhiteHepplewhite
Definition of bobwhite in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan