noun (plural bocaccios)
- An edible rockfish, of particular commercial importance in California.
More example sentences
- Sebastes paucispinis, family Scorpaenidae
- These include seafood favorites such as red snapper, red drum, and bocaccio - species already under pressure from commercial fishing.
- For some of the most valuable species like red drum in the south Atlantic, red snapper in the Gulf of Mexico and bocaccio in the Pacific, the number rises to 56%, 59% and 87%, respectively.
- In the most dramatic example cited, the researchers found that recreational anglers landed 87% of the total Pacific coast bocaccio that year.
ultimately from American Spanish bocacho 'big-mouth(ed)'.