Definition of body art in English:
1Items of jewelry or clothing worn on the body and regarded as art.
- Sometimes the body is a medium, for example, with tattoos or body art.
- Organisers said items on sale included outfits, footwear, body art, lingerie, jewellery and gifts.
- If you have an occasional drink - or an earring and some body art adorning your biceps - don't panic.
1.1The practice of decorating the body by means of tattooing, piercing, plastic surgery, etc.
- Can you remember when piercings and body art were a symbol of rebellion against society's mainstream values?
- I love body art and piercing.
- The kind of body art they practise would shame the youngsters who adorn themselves with primitive attempts at aping the tribals.
2An artistic movement originating in the 1970s in which the physical presence of the artist (or of a model) is regarded as an integral part of the work.
- This was Weber's fourth in a series of public readings that fall within the category of ordeal or endurance art, a performance genre derived from body art.
- The current profusion of off-kilter portraiture and body art, for example, strongly resonates with the work of two artists who came of age in the 1970s, Joan Brown and Gregory Gillespie.
- Despite clear cultural differences in specific approaches and actions, Asian body art, like its Western counterpart, derives its effectiveness from the way it reflects on our common humanity.
Definition of body art in:
- British & World English dictionary