Definition of bombardier beetle in English:
A ground beetle that when alarmed discharges a puff of hot irritant vapor from its anus with an audible pop.
- Genus Brachinus, family Carabidae: several species
- One contributor to the conference gave a talk on ‘The efficiency of the explosive discharge of the bombardier beetle, with possible biomimetic applications’.
- The Holotype of the bombardier beetle, Brachinus aabaaba, which I named and described in 1970, is housed in the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard.
- The tiny bombardier beetle could not possibly have evolved.
Definition of bombardier beetle in:
- British & World English dictionary