Definition of bombardon in English:
1A type of valved bass tuba.
- The bombardon is circular, passing over the performer's head, with the bell directed upwards.
- In some parts of Europe, bass ophicleides and valved tubas were indiscriminately called bombardons.
- Their design was adopted by other instrument makers who modified them slightly and began producing the bombardon in different sizes and shapes.
1.1An organ stop imitating this.
- All lacking chromatic notes were added to basses and trombones to fit the fully chromatic 110-key scale, the bass pipes were doubled and 16’ bombardons were added to the brass 8’ trombones.
- What on earth would it have been like if they had installed the 32' Bombardon that was prepared for it (presumably a downward extension of the 16' reed).
Mid 19th century: from Italian bombardone, from bombardo 'cannon'. Compare with bombarde.
Words that rhyme with bombardonRiordan • bourdon
Definition of bombardon in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.