- (In the Christian Church) a book containing the prayers or offices to be said at the canonical hours of the day, particularly popular in the Middle Ages.More example sentences
- Psalters were the most popular book used for private devotion before the books of hours.
- Like many books of hours, the Murthly book was written for a noblewoman.
- Beyond the planets are four depictions of the seasons that recall a medieval book of hours but seem to rely on the tarot, with images of the Fool, the Chariot and Death.
More definitions of book of hoursDefinition of book of hours in:
- The British & World English dictionary